Monday, August 9, 2010

Bridging the teams

Building a relationship with an acquired company and its small teams, I never knew how difficult it was, rather I was not aware of it's importance,

I was surprised when I got a low rating for the objective "working in teams" in my appraisals because I did not utilize the opportunity to become a bridge between these two teams. I would say I didn't have the maturity to understand the situation and act accordingly.

Where did I fail? I was disturbed for many days and still... because of this unexpected baseline on my performance evaluation.

Well I got some answers from Prof Vatsal Sir's* Class in my Executive MBA which in fact gave me some relief and some answers to my never ending questions. 

My answer to the Manger for my failure in "Working in team" was I never felt the other team as part of my team. So how I would feel like considering them as team members and work with them.

The main reason is lack of unity and the culture difference where I failed to understand and accept them.
They being into the in-house service offering and suddenly changed to a totally  new customer oriented culture where every service behaves in an aggressive mode. To Tune them into this service model, to make them relaxed, to give support and make them understand how I enjoy and learn in a service company, Probably I would have failed!

Secondly, My Immaturity and  Not knowing the importance. How would I have been matured before hitting the floor?  If I understood their mental attitude, I would have acted diplomatically and controlled my emotions. Could HR have played a better role in this situation? If so it would have been a win-win situation for both the teams.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 comments:

  1. Every situation in personal life or professional life gives immence opportunties to learn and to grow. The possitive outlook you have, touched with a personal reflection makes the difference, and this difference is that elevates you to the next level.

    Cheers...
    Saji

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nitty,

    Every lesson learnt in life is based on the obstacles we face, be happy to face the obstacles to grow more. Failures are the secret of success. I wish to learn a lot with your guidance. Thanks a ton to my mentor and many claps for the initiative.

    Yours Frendly,
    Saravana Kumar M

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have taken good efforts for progress in your personal/professional life.I can see u stepping into the success stones of your career. Inputs given by the professor in managing the resources is really nice.

    ReplyDelete