Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Being Demanding on the team deliverables

Being Answerable to escalation and responsible for People Management and Daily delivery of the Project, Some where I couldn't score much. There was a feedback from some of the team members that I am Bossy. Is that true?

According to my basic mind set, I never liked commanding to someone. But what made me to act in that way and how I could have avoided it?

In that thought process, I felt a bit angry to My Manager being not understanding the escalation and daily delivery pressure I had been undergoing. Because One day the same manager only told me to be a very strict Lead at the same time he will be on the softer side to listen the Team and now I got a bad rating from the same manager.

Well, I will not consider it as a bad rating, rather the best eye opener to explore more areas of human feeling and behavior. I was thinking how I could have handled daily task assignment better. Again Prof Vatsal Sir gave me an insight to this problem.

He said " Nithya, be polite to the team members, Set the expectation at the beginning like the deliverables and time lines, make the him/her understand the impact on you if it is not delivered on time. And after couple of hours, take him for coffee or go to his desk and ask him  "Do you face any challenges?" "How are things going?" . A genuine person would definitely open up if he is facing any issue. The other one would feel guilty. This way you are being very assertive but ready to understand him.

"Never ask 'Why you are not able to deliver' , Instead ask "What challenges are you facing?" He concluded.

1 comment:

  1. Very well answered, "Never ask,
    Why you are not able to deliver', Instead ask 'What challenges are you facing?'"

    Thanks for sharing his views to us. I never felt you commanding someone, so never ever worry about it.

    Yours Frendly,
    Saravana Kumar M

    ReplyDelete